Selleri vest

On Sunday last we went to a navngivning or some sort of atheist christening celebration (an oxymoron, I know). The young gentleman in question also needed something handmade, which I stupidly waited until the day before to make – although I did plan ahead in terms of purchasing and laundering my fabric!

For this occasion I had settled upon the “Selleri” velour vest, from the same Ottobre 1/2010 issue as the previous post’s Linus overalls. This is in spite of the fact that I am not friends with knit fabrics, although I was lured by the promise of not having to finish my seams, because the vest is fully lined. (Maria, A.’s mother, likes hoodies, so that was why.) I made the vest from grey stretch velour with grey ribbing at the pocket edges, armholes and hood edges, and lined with white cotton interlock with grey stars, and a light blue zipper. The interlock was actually some leftovers from a pair of pyjama pants I made for myself – just one more reason why sewing for kids is fun (you can use your leftovers!).

Like the Linus overalls, I had issues. Firstly the pattern pieces for the rib bindings weren’t long enough, which the pattern instructions mentioned was a possibility due to the differing stretch/recovery of rib. The fact that I didn’t actually meausre this out before I hit the machine meant that I had to cut new pockets, pocket linings, and rib and do it again. Fair’s fair – I was warned. But most frustrating was my total inability to stitch the lining to the shell at the armholes as instructed:

Pin and stitch armholes of shell and lining on one side together, right sides facing and with armhole binding in between.

So far so good – as long as you understand the principle of sandwiching you can do this.

Push lining to inside through armhole.

OK.

Stitch armholes of shell and lining together on the other side in the same way.

Um, no. Try as I might, I could NOT find any way whatsoever to sandwich the other armhole once the first one had been sewn. I tried pinning it a multitude of ways and every time, there was no way I could turn the vest right side out again, or didn’t have the armholes sewn together one two separate sides. Maybe if there had been pictures, but Ottobre has only text instructions (which doesn’t usually bug me). I had to pick out my seams, which since I had used a stretch stitch = nightmare. I ended up cutting the lining off and tossing it. Then I had to cut out a new lining. I sewed that onto the shell at the top and sides as later instructed, then went back and attached it to the armholes by pressing the seam allowance under, topstitching at the outside, and then handstitching the loose edge to the ribbing on the inside. It doesn’t look as nice as the sandwiched seam would have done, but it works. Argh! And all of this at nine in the evening the day before, of course.

Here’s the finished product, in a slightly blurry edition:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: